Thursday, April 10, 2014

rad vs. cat

Most advice regarding pets and a child with Reactive Attachment Disorder revolves around one word- DON'T. Don't get a pet, don't ask the child to care for a pet and don't let pets near the child.

When Genea arrived, we had 3 cats and we were not an exception. I think probably the time I came closest to losing control of myself entirely, in a dangerous way, was when I caught her kicking one of them.  We maintained line- of- sight supervision and mostly the cats stayed as far away from her as they could.

Eventually years went by without incident, 2 of the cats died, and we got Bindi last month.

 
 
 
Very nervous, I introduced the girls to her. I gave them concise, explicit directions, first. She's upset and stressed right now. We will go in her room and both of you sit down. You sit still. You only talk softly. You keep yourself calm and you wait. Do nothing but sit. She is so scared right now that anything you do will freak her out and she might not come by you again. If she walks by you, you sit. Only if she rubs into you and I say it's okay can you touch her. When she walks away you let her go. Well, I tried to cover every possibility. As if.

Teena, not so much with the cooperating. Her impulses were greater than her control. She reached out a few times and Bindi stopped snaking by her. Later, she kept trying to entice Bindi to play until I gave up telling her to quit it, and let nature take its course. The course being a one way street to a slashed up hand.

Genea however, did everything I told her to do. The word 'magical' seems exaggerated but really, it fits. Bindi walked by her a few times, then rubbed on her knee. Genea asked and was okayed to pet her, gently and calmly. Several days of this, and it became clear that Bindi had a great preference for  Genea over the rest of us. She sits with Genea, or follows her around the house. Genea does her daily reading with Bindi after school- I mean, she sits there and reads a book out loud to Bindi, who now knows all about Junie B Jones. I can't even describe how cute that is!

She was horrified to hear Bindi's history. She was found as a pregnant stray, about 1 year old (sigh, teenage pregnancy). She had her babies and they were all adopted but Bindi sat for another year in a cage at the Humane Society. 

So Genea, she is just beside herself with this relationship. Shocked, stunned, amazed that what I told her to do worked. Like I told her the secrets to rocket science and she didn't believe it until she found herself on Mars eating jello. (Years ago she came home from school and announced her teacher said eating vegetables is healthy, so could I be sure to serve her some vegetables? omg I hadn't thought of that arggggggh ).  Every person she tells about our new cat, which is everyone in a 2 mile radius, gets to hear how schnockered she was to discover her Mama knew something and was right about it! Whooda thunk?

Here's where it affects the RAD. For years, Genea has had the most insincere tone interacting with little beings. Seeing her new baby cousin, she'd say "aww. Oh look. At. The cute ba- there's a squirrel  can I have a lollipop  you have to wash my clothes now", with the same tone as if she were saying " I gotta take out the trash". It made my internal organs cringe but honestly, I stopped noticing it ages ago. Just part of Genea, one of those things she is going to have to learn. But with Bindi, it's sincere. She sounds like she really does think Bindi is cute. It sounds natural, and that right there is amazing all by itself. 



Here's another effect on the RAD. I think Bindi got too close. Maybe too affectionate or too loving. She was laying on Genea's lap and maybe Genea got scared, anxious that something loved her and so for the first time in ages, Genea pea'd a little on herself. It was her go-to response for so long to push people away and I suspect it flared back up with Bindi.

I had hoped, and I was probably too optimistic (ha ha, no one has ever said that to me), I could say things like "stop shrieking like your eyebrows are on fire, you're scaring Bindi". Or maybe "Bindi gets nervous when you hurl things into the wall". This does not have any effect. At all. But the rest of it is awesome!

11 comments:

  1. I am so happy that Bindi has integrated into the family so well and that a lot of it had to do with Genea. Isn't a wonderful moment when you see that they listen and believe what you say. I'm talking about the kids not the cat :) I agree that things coming from my mouth don't have the same weight as coming from a teacher or neighbor even. Apparently a close friend and neighbor knows everything according to my girls. While their daddy knows the next most and I come somewhere much farther down the list after teachers, uncles etc. I comfort myself that at least they think someone is smarter than them because they can be such know it alls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a great feeling, lol! Teena's pre- K teacher actually told us she would "plant" things for us! Like "kids should always put laundry in the basket" HA HA! I thought that was awesome!

      Delete
    2. LOL--I do the same. I've had parents come in and say, "Please will you mention xyz." This was especially true when I taught first grade.

      Delete
  2. We've had all of our animal since they were babies. AKA before one of us decided that we needed to adopt. The fur-babies are staying.
    At first the pet rules were very, very simple: if I see you LOOK at the cat/dog you will be sent out of the room. ( I know, not the best method, but...) then the rule became a little evil... You can look at the cat/dog and they may touch you. You may not touch back. (still evil, but the fur-babies weren't hurt.) Finally, one of the cats got brave. He pet himself with HER hand. Ok, you may pet, GENTLY the cat/dogs, while we are in the room, with permission, you may read and tell stories to them. You may.not.pick.them.up.
    It stayed like this for a long time. Until the pets started climbing on her lap and chasing her through the house. Then the cat chased her into the bathroom and got stuck in the toilet. (OK, the cat kinda should have seen that one coming. Little kid, big water bowl.... bath time!!!)
    Back to always only with us. The cats/dogs still don't completely trust her, but they don't hate her either. Our bigger dog likes her a.lot. He's the baby-sitter. Sometimes, when she won't do her meds, he literally sits on her. It's a distraction that sometimes works and he's too big for her to do any real damage, plus, 80lb dogs can be a little intimidating and even she isn't that brave.
    Lately, progress has been oddly made that I never expected. I've come into the room to find her cradling the older cat, who doesn't trust kiddos, in her lap, gently talking to him, and he doesn't try to get away at all when she puts her hands up and whines that he-likes-her-and-he's-happy-look-please-don't-take-Dale-away! When he does walk away, she doesn't try to chase him down when he does leave.
    Our older girl, while generally "better" with animals, isn't making the same progress and is upset that we won't let the cats in her room at night. They do get to come in and tell her good night with me!
    We're very careful at all times, and the younger girl does get ornery and spiteful, but... there's a lot of progress that the pets have given the kiddos with very, VERY strict supervision. We(I) still don't trust the girls, but I think the pets are a very good thing for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh MammaT- this is far from your first rodeo, am I right? LOL!

      Delete
  3. I love this story. You have me even more convinced that we *need* to get a pet. Such a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very cute together. I think sometimes animals sense who needs them the most.

      Delete
  4. I think it sounds like a magical, healing relationship. :>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not one I was expecting- if anything I thought she'd be indifferent to the cat so, yay for being wrong!

      Delete
  5. We have been using animals all along to help our RADlet. At first, he was mean and hurtful so he was always supervised. He got to interact with our two big dogs, but no other animals. I trained one of our Boxers as a therapy dog and he now uses him in public to maintain his calm and controlled state. We have also had him in horse therapy and even got a horse. That has helped him immensely. We still have a long way to go, but I love any progress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh seriously! You trained a therapy dog? That's so cool! I've thought about horseback riding, but could never pull it off. Not a lot of places near here.

      Delete

I love comments! If you agree or disagree, comment away! However if you are a butthead about it, you may be excised.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...